A Trip To the Capital - Exploring Murree

So we were so hungry. H asked for the menu from the waiter , he gave us a paper having the title of "RAMNA Restaurant", all the food items were listed with their prices. I and H after a "detailed" discussion decided to order biryani. Its price was something else on the menu but when the order arrived waiter asked for few bugs more. We inquired he said its their service charges. The difference from the menu food item price to the paid amount was 200 rupees. It became clear that the "New Islamabad Hotel" had no food service themselves. They relied on another restaurant which gave chance to waiters to earn some additional bugs. Me and H were so tired we watched TV, a good movie, had green tea and unpack our bags. I was so relieved to see that dressing table. I just lined up my make up accessories there. The thing I must admit that the comfort at that room was home alike but that was not home off course. We planned our tomorrow's day out which was none other then the MURREE. For dinner we decided to eat chicken Karahi ,yeah from same single piece of paper. It's price was 300RS. We called the waiter and ordered that particular food item. Now here is the waiter I was talking about. The waiters at the hotel changes shifts. The waiter I am referring to used to work at night shift. when I saw him first time, my mind said "Oh Uncle Sargam ". I swear he just looked like him. Uncle Sargam is a well known puppet character created by Farooq Qaiser. When he talked to my husband he looked like a average intellectual. I mean the intellectuals we see in streets deriving the meanings of life from their own experiences or from at least what they heard of life. Instead of just taking the order, he jumped in to details of qualities and cooking methods of chicken karahi. what pieces of meat should be used? it should be plain or spicy etc?.  My husband told him all requirements. At the end when he delivered our order, it was a karahi with ordinary taste but it cost us double means Rs.600/=.  It was unbelievable. When my husband said to him that you people are good at making money. He responded with a intellectual deep breath "Saab Ji! 1800 Bi Koi Tankhuwa Hai? Bus Ghareeb Hai. Guzara Karna Pardta Hai."( Rs.1800 is not a good salary but since we are poor we have to manage.). The uncle sargam waiter was extra efficient but his efficiency was of no use since depending on him meant giving extra rupees on each meal. So H decided not to order from hotel administration, my intelligent husband decided to go to "RAMNA Restaurant" by himself for buying food. This was the best idea at the moment, when we started buying food by ourselves the waiters seemed really annoyed with us but who cares we saved our money. 

Next day the weather was humid and hot, me and H got prepared for visit to Murree. First I thought to wear a light cotton dress but later on a piece of information about Murree changed my mind. The info was that the weather in Murree is never consistent an ordinary sunny day can change in to a stormy cold weather. So I dressed in a comparatively warm cloths. My husband H was wearing blue shalwar Kameez with a black Waskat( Pakistani Jacket). He was looking like a "Khan Sahib". Hotel administration and Waqar driver kept calling him that. They became brothers as they say "Pai Jan". Remember that this was the same driver who picked us from airport(Mentioned in first part of the note).  So we were heading for Murree by Motorway. The way to Murree is just fabulous. Its green,refreshed and full of life. The journey on the smooth and twisted roads of motorway was another experience, it was just like the car was flying over it. The roads were zic zanged and so slippery. Only an experienced driver can drive on a good speed here. I was sitting at the back seat and by habit, I was chanting different Suras for safe journey. The signboards on the motorway was really western. I mean I was not expecting that in Pakistan. I thought that in my country everything is running with out a system but i was wrong. Looking at the system and professional way of terrific here I was convinced that "Pakistan Itna Bi Gya Guzra Nea." (Pakistan is not that underdeveloped). Islamabad by its system and by the urge to follow that system seemed a mini western country, like while travelling here you have to wear a helmet if you are riding a motorcycle and you have to fasten your seat belt if you are driving a car else you will be fined.
Speed indicators and public service messages were fixed along the roads after every few steps. 
While heading to Murree I was feeling like I was going to heaven. Different types of trees and rarely seen colourful flowers were welcoming us at each step. At the moment few scenes of Pakistani movies and dramas crossed my mind which were picturized here in Murree. Murree was more beautiful then it was captured in camera. After a wonderful journey,we reached there. The environment was so welcoming and very joyful. It was playful and so romantic since I saw many other "Tangled" couples too,holding each other's hands and strolling in green Murree. Parents with kids and lots of people just here to enjoy the life at its most. Every one looked really excited. Our driver-cum-guide lead us to chair lift counter , we bought tickets, off course ticket for two. on the way to show our tickets and sit on chair lifts we saw a burger family couple. They were showering affections on each other, posing for pictures in public like they are not in Pakistan but in west. This bread of Pakistanis are really impressed from western culture. My dad while working in Islamabad told me about Mummy daddy kids and to be honest I was really curious to see them and here I was ,I saw them. They were not anyone from Iqbal(R.A) and Quaid(R.A) 's dreamed generation but a generation impressed from uncle Sam's traditions. Well sitting on chair lift was another challenge for me. I thought that they are supposed to stop this thing but no we were asked to sit while it was just running. I was scared but somehow I managed to sit but I hurt my arm while doing so. It was scary and so dangerous. If you just miss a moment while sitting on running chair lift you can be pushed forward so hard to fall so badly. I don't know how people with babies managed to sit on chair lifts?. I think something has to be done to make it more safer. 
Imagine yourself with your spouse , the romantic environment of Murree, chair lift and so many trees and greenery beneath your feet. Was it a dream? was it a blessing ? I was feeling really thrilled to be on such height. It was like flying above trees like a bird. Usually I am afraid of heights but at that time I was not. The charm of Murree and its attraction captivated me in such a way that I forgot my fears. Only a lucky lady like me who have a perfect prince charming can feel in that way. It was just great. I loved it. H was so happy. He suggested that pigs in Murree jungle should be exported to west for earning extra revenue. I was praising his mind that how can he hink such a brilliant idea in such a romantic mode?. That's exceptional. There were many photographers who were there to capture couple's photo while riding the chair lift. We also took that memorable photo. They charged us 60 RS for this sweet service. 
After enjoying the hectic ride on chair lift I landed to the hands craft shop. There were many hand made bags. I am always fascinated with folk hand made craft. I kept checking almost all bags and finally bought one for me. It was beautiful and so traditional. I was sure that in Quetta its not available yet. H purchased a wallet for himself. It was made of good leather and cost almost nothing as compared in so called branded shops. Like every Pakistani wife I love my husband too even more then a average wife while shopping I realised that shopping especially ladies shopping can't be done with men. Actually there are many shopping styles and even so many patience levels in shopping. A lady should shop alone or the next option is that the men should increase their patience level. I appreciate my dear husband for all his patience while I was shopping.We strolled briefly here in Muree. We went to Bazar. I cant remember its name but I will refer it as Murree bazar since we were still there. Murree Bazar was interesting and enchanting. We visited a Kashmiri Craft Shop. The Kashmiri Shawls and Gowns were so beautiful but they were so costly. When I say costly it means it cant be purchased with ease by Pakistani visitors. Only a Gora with lots of dollars in his pocket can buy them. A simple Kashmiri gown with simple embroidery was priced 4000 RS. In a same way a plain Kashmiri(having a single line of embroidery) Shawl was 2300 RS. We literally just escaped from there. Other shops were relatively good. We purchased some gifts for friends and family. The hunger took the lead and we proceeded to a local hotel for lunch. It was a separate environment here in Muree Bazar. It was like a fair, a land where there was no terrorism but romance and charm of foggy Murree only. I was feeling out of this world really. This was Murree's charisma but my Balochistani mind set too. As a girl form Baluchistan I am influenced more by fear of being killed in a bomb blast or firing then to roam around that freely in such a beautiful town. 
The Hectic trip to Murree continues. How was our lunch? and the way back to Islamabad? What was our next destination? Know all this in next blog post. Stay tuned. 

Comments

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your site and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed
    reading your site. Any way I'll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.

    murree hotels prices | murree property for sale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for liking my blog. Readers like you can make the "Betterment Quest" big and enjoyable. Feel free to share your content. I would love to read it. Regards!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

*****

Popular Posts