Pakistan, English and the Urdu


Today I am not going to write a whole big blog post. Instead, I will tell you about my conversation with one of my Chinese class fellow. It was a group discussion about our national languages. I told him that Pakistan's national language is Urdu but officially we use English. English is being used in teaching all the science and technology subjects and Urdu is being taught as a one subject only. Moreover, it’s used in our daily communication also. For example, in schools, universities and offices Urdu is "spoken" but the official proceedings and written documents are in English. Shenglu, my Chinese class fellow was amazed. He laughed and said," that's why I was wondering why your English is so good. It means that you do not come from an Asian country but an English speaking country." Puzzled on his un expected "natural" response, I said," No, we are not from English speaking country. English is used for education and office works since it helps us to compete with the world. We should admit that English is an international language and we have to learn it. On the other hand, we have different regional languages. A common Pakistani can speak 2 to 3 languages easily." It seemed clear that Shenglu was not satisfied with my reply. He shook his head in denial and said," Pakistanis should carry out all the education and state affairs' documentation in Urdu. It's their national language. If you adopt your originality and identity, people will respect you more." Here, his comments just touched my heart. After so many years of education in Pakistan, we were convinced that speaking English is the way to advancement and ones prosperity. No one presented this idea that Urdu is our national language and we should speak it to identify ourselves internationally. I remember listening to Chinese president when he visited Pakistan, he was addressing in Chinese and an interpreter was translating his words. At that time, I thought that Oh poor president, he doesn’t know English. But, now away from Pakistan and knowing my Chinese classmate's views I came to the conclusion that Chinese president's speech was not the lack of his knowledge of English but his respect for his own national language. It was a loud representation that we are proud of our language and we will continue speaking it to preserve and respect it. 

Even thou, Shenglu's point were valid but I have an equal concern about Chinese approach too. In China, television transmission, mobile phones' language is in Chinese. In addition, they teach every subject in Chinese even scientific subjects like Mathematics and Physics. The media is filtered and English channels are not allowed. In my opinion, this approach will leave Chinese students in severe difficulties when they arrive in Western countries for studies. On the other hand, I respect my Chinese fellows for love of their language and their identity. 

This conversation opened new doors of thoughts for me. Firstly, I realised that we Pakistanis are not comfortable in our own skin. We prefer to speak in English. We think that it will make us appear more educated and advanced. We assume that when we speak English, it will bring us close to the so called elite class. Secondly, I came to the conclusion that Urdu is the only chain that joins the whole country since in Pakistan; we have people of different languages with different backgrounds. If we don't think as Pakistani then Pakistan may come to the edge of division once again. 

Last but not the least, actually we should realise that British colonialism has came to an end 65 years ago, learn English but don't make it a status symbol or a ladder to success. Be proud of yourself and your language specially Urdu, the forgotten language.  

Comments

Popular Posts