Student to In Charge - Learnings

In this note i would like to summarise my 11 months experience as IT in charge. I hope this note will be useful to job seeking graduates out there. In days and number it was just one month less then a year but working in tanzeem gave me learning dose of years. This is the benefit of a challenging job. It's just like throwing one in to the water and ask them to swim even if you don't know swimming. When I was hired, in earlier days i felt the same, drowning and suffocating. I have always considered myself as a strong girl but i admit that in first week of my new job, once after returning home i cried. I was inexperienced and yet over burdened.i dint knew how to work ? Where to start? On the other hand no body was helping me but I was not disappointed. I took it as challenge to prove myself and do something remarkable.
Today when I look back , I realise that beside all external factors i also made some mistakes like when I was hired i dint knew my job description and i dint asked for it either. I thought my job will be IT related only but with passage of time and organisations need i was assigned more and more work day by day. I was over burdened , my concentration scattered like a broken glass. It made me invest hundred out of hundred effort to perform best on every project or assigned task.
On the other hand, I was so busy in working that often i used to miss my afternoon break. I lost contact with most of my colleagues since i had no time to sit and discuss things with them.
I learnt that wherever you got hired, ask for definite job description and just stick to it. Office politics exists everywhere, engaging into pool of tasks i was unable to cope with it.
So My second learning is that never indulge yourself in work so much that it makes you deaf from other aspects of job.
When as a employee you are trusted and given lots of titles it feels good. You feel like a back bone but as they say great power requires great responsibility though
I am responsible, I made good use of my authority but at times i felt that my responsibilities were much bigger then my age. I was a young manager, a young executive it felt good, fun and privileged.
I am honoured but i learned that one should not be a young executive else they can be easily manipulated. They can accidentally take bad decisions with out even noticing it. I was lucky enough to be guided by my elders and my practice as group leader in university made things a bit easier for me but when i think of a young In charge generally i feel scared.
Third thing i learnt is diplomacy. We live in superficial world. My judgements used to be harsh and honest. It earned me admirers but an equal number of "not so good friends". I learnt that one should not be that direct . Diplomacy is something one have to learn. It's stating your say with a sugar coated cover. It helps.
The journey of life continues, there are many more places to conquer now. We can't learn all lessons in one day but at least we should learn our lessons from everything we do else no experience can add to maturity.

Comments

Popular Posts